Thursday, August 28, 2008

Clark and Carie: A Toast

Dear Clark and Carie. Dear Carie and Clark.

I am not yet married but I have witnessed a hundred and one weddings and marriages and how weddings and marriages are ought to be. Now, I guess that's my only qualification to propose a toast.

For me, marriage is an adventure of a lifetime. It is a journey toward uncharted territories so that there shall be bumps, curves, twists, turns and of course smooth pavements along the way. There shall be an endless discovery of character--good and not-so good, and if you wish, also a constant building of personhood of one for the other so that the union of two hearts is seamlessly perfected through time. Since the process involves a multitude of dichotomies of every aspect of life, strengthen your hearts. That is, hope for the best but prepare for the inevitables. While you are at it, may you not forget that you are friends and lovers in the first place so find time to do what you love to do, like travel once in a while or go out on a date regularly. The latter is a must.

Now, let me share with you the best advice of married couples to newlyweds that I've gathered so far (told ya, I'm a wedding junkie): Hold hands every time you get a chance. More importantly, never let go of each other's hands at times when you don't see eye to eye and you have to fight. It's quite a skill to master but it can be done, as told based on experience.

So here's to a lifelong of beautiful, blessed and blissful union of Clark and Carie, let's drink to that!

No comments: